Antibody Detection with Quartz Crystal Microbalance
May 10th 2021: AWSensors offers acoustic sensors for antibody detection. Acoustic biosensor-based immunosensing with High-Fundamental Frequency Quartz Crystal Microbalance (HFF-QCM) and Love-SAW sensors offers several advantages over Enzyme Linked Immuno Assay (ELISA) or Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR).
Acoustic sensors antibody detection advantages over ELISA
- Sensitivity approximately as a standard ELISA or better.
- Acoustic sensors offer label-free detection of the antibody-antigen binding.
- Full automation.
- Pre-calibrated (the user does not need to run the standards. More samples can be run. Reduced cost per sample).
- Quantitative real-time /in-situ monitoring.
- Turn-key solution (no need to specialized detection equipment, reader, or spectrophotometer).
- Reduced complexity, relaxed requirements for trained personnel.
- Small volumes (~ 10 of ul per sample).
- Parallelization and multiple analyte detection through sensor arrays.
- Sensor re-usablity, leading to reduced assay cost.
Acoustic sensors antibody detection advantages over SPR
- Better sensitivity.
- QCM also sees solvent.
- Provides conformational information of the surface film.
- Miniaturization and integration into portable systems.
- Easier to develop parallel and multiple analyte assays through sensor arrays.
Therefore, one can develop biosensors based on acoustic immunosensors with highly attractive features in order to rapidly detect pathogens like viruses and bacteria , and low molecular weigh compounds.
Our Biosensor Application Note is an application example where we describe a sensitive detection of a low molecular weight pesticide carbaryl using competitive immunoassay with hapen-conjugates immobilized on high-fundamental frequency QCMD sensors, SAMs and monoclonal antibodies (MAb) [2, 3]. As a result, we achieved a very sensitive detection of the carbaryl analyte.
 Surface Generated Acoustic Wave Biosensors for the Detection of Pathogens: A Review
 High-frequency phase shift measurement greatly enhances the sensitivity of QCM immunosensors
 Love Wave Immunosensor for the Detection of Carbaryl Pesticide